This Week’s Treat – 6 Keys to Creating a Great Website
In our quest to create a beautifully findable website, we have covered all the necessary steps: From choosing a great picture, to photographers, to web designers and everything in between.
So let’s talk about what we learned, and how to take things a step further.
Allow me to add just a few more things to do to make your website stand out!
So let’s get to it shall we?
- Good Visual Design – Design is an all encompassing word for all the visuals elements of your website – logo, font(s), white space, theme/template, layout and colors.
Using a theme that relates to the topic of your website can help to keep you/your content on track. When it comes to design it is important to remember to use white space and think about color usage and meaning.
- Content – the key to a good website is providing relevant content that your readers want. Content should answer the question “what’s in it for me?”
- Navigation is the “GPS” of your website. Navigation or Nav Bars are the buttons that get your visitors where they need to go to get information or do certain things. Usually this bar is along the top, as we are in this one, or along the left side of the site. Should be simple to use and uncluttered. It is always a good idea to group like pages under the same topic to streamline navigation.
- Call to Action – The Call to Action is a set of words that urge your website visitors to take an immediate action on your website. There is no magic formula to a good Call to Action. The key is to continuously test what works best for your website and your audience. Test the placement, size and color of these… make sure you use actionable words.
- Credibility – A good website instills trust from visitors. Good website design takes this into consideration by incorporating items that help identify that you are a legitimate resource. One way you can do so is by utilizing verified links, clearly stating your identity and contact info, good grammar and employing social proof.
- Mobile site — More and more people are looking at your site from a mobile phone or web enabled device. It seems like anything with a screen and a microchip in it is capable of getting on the internet these days. Make sure your site is viewable on a mobile internet enabled device.
A Quick Review!
Until Next Week, Let’s Make you Findable!
Schedule your Findability Audit today